After going live, I noticed that some pre-existing accounts are having some issues with products that don’t exist anymore. When attempting to edit the affected product list, a HTTP 500 error is being thrown. I’m working on a fix now, will update when it’s resolved.
EDIT: The product list issue is fixed now. While fixing, I noticed another issue with the account import. That problem has also been addressed. I did have to delete and re-import all accounts again as part of the fix, so if you created a new WxNotify account between 9-12pm this morning, you’ll unfortunately need to re-create your account. Apologies for the inconvenience!